A ketogenic diet works like this; when your body does not store carbohydrates inside of you for energy, your body will then have to run on by going inside of your fat stores as the main fuel source. The scientific term for this is called ketosis. Thus this causes your body to lose weight rapidly and efficiently by using your pure fat for efficiently operate your body.
To go into a ketosis state, you will need to eat foods that are very low in carbohydrates and high in fat diet. So your ketogenic diet should be mostly consumed of the following, proteins, fat and green vegetables which should cover up for most of the carbohydrates you eat but will also give you very important vitamins that you will need to function. I will give you some foods that are great while on a ketogenic diet below.
Foods to Eat on a Ketogenic Diet:
- Fish. Fish is very important and very healthy. The fish you buy should not be preserved with sugar. It also should not be breaded fish. Make sure when purchasing your fish that it is fresh.
- Poultry Products. This includes chicken turkey and so on. Since you are on a high fat diet you should leave the skin on the bird since you need the most fats intake and you get that from the skin.
- Vegetables. Eat your veggies, except carrots and broccoli. The veggies will be a source of the carbohydrates you consume. Try eating vegetables with the lowest amount of carbs in them such as peas, spinach, leaves, lettuce and tomatoes are just some of them.
- Cheese. My favorite :). The cheese should be around the size of a match box but it also depends on many other factors.
- Meat. Eating meat is preferred when on this diet. Meats like beef, pork and ribs are great. You may eat process meats like pepperoni sticks frankfurters but just check the carbs in it before you eat it. Since you need to eat as little carbs as possible.
What did we learn about the ketogenic diet?
The foods above are an idea of what foods you should eat while on this diet. So you body can use energy directly from your fat source instead of using energy from the carbs your food gives your body. Of course the ketogenic diet will need a lot of more careful planning for it to be successful. Some things you should not forget about is to keep your carbohydrates as low as you possibly can and your fat intake high. Plan carefully, so take more time to read our articles about the ketogenic diet.